Simple and elegant, this crispy and savory galette is loaded with fresh asparagus, prosciutto and goat cheese. This is a classic recipe that comes in handy in the springtime when asparagus is in season. It is also a great entree to serve at brunch when you are looking for something that is light and flavorful. This recipe can be easily doubled for a group. All ingredients can be prepared the day ahead and assembled and baked on the day of your event. A bright crisp Rosé will bring plenty of flavor and acidity and enhance the savory notes.
Makes 4 galettes servings
Galette Pastry Rounds Ingredients:
- ¼ cup milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large whole egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a bowl whisk together milk, butter, yolks, and whole egg. In another bowl whisk together flour, and salt. Stir flour mixture into milk mixture until just combined.
- On a lightly floured surface with floured fingers knead dough 6 to 8 times. Do not overwork. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Divide dough into 4 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, or between 2 pieces of parchment, roll each piece of dough into a 8-inch round. Transfer rounds to 2 baking sheets and fold edges and crimp . Chill rounds 20 minutes. Bake in middle and lower thirds of oven for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to racks and cool. This part can be done 1 day ahead and kept in plastic at room temperature until assembly.
Galette Filling Ingredients:
- 2 medium onions thinly julienne sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound thin asparagus trimmed
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 6 ounces herbed soft goat cheese at room temperature
- In a skillet melt butter. Add oil and onion with salt and pepper to taste. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes until soft and golden.
- Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces and cook in a large saucepan of boiling water 3 minutes or until just tender. Drain asparagus and transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking and preserve bright green color. Lift asparagus out of ice bath and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Top each galette with onions spread evenly then prosciutto slices, asparagus, and goat cheese in that order. Bank on a baking sheet in the middle of oven for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a rack. Cut into wedges when ready to serve.
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.