Makes 4 servings. Cooking Time 3.5 hours
- 8 English cut beef short ribs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 table spoons olive oil
- 1 bottle Cabernet or other full bodied red wine
- 4 cups beef or vegetable stock
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Chopped parsley to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Pat dry the ribs and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the ribs in the Dutch oven on all sides. Remove the ribs from the pan and set aside.
4. Add the garlic to the pan and cook to soften.
5. Add the stock, red wine and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer.
6. Return the ribs to the pan and cover. Place the the covered pan into the pre heated oven and braise for approximately 3 hours, checking periodically for the ribs to become tender. When the ribs are tender and beginning to fall from the bone, remove from the oven.
7. Transfer the cooked ribs to a serving dish and tent with foil. Strain the braising liquid into a medium saucepan.
8. Simmer the liquid over medium-high heat until reduced.
9. Whisk in the tomato paste and butter. Check for seasoning. Spoon sauce over the ribs and garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
Nanette Berning Pate