Have an abundance of tomatoes from your summer garden? This is the perfect way to use up this key ingredient, balanced by the perfect buttermilk dressing.
- 3 to 4 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups panko
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 medium cucumber slices
- 4 hard boiled eggs cut into wedges
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1/2 small head red leaf lettuce, cleaned
- Buttermilk Dressing, recipe follows
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon onion salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Combine all dressing ingredients and chill until ready to use.
- In a small dish combine beaten eggs and 1/4 cup buttermilk and set aside. Combine all-purpose flour, onion salt, paprika and pepper on a dinner size plate and set aside. Place panko on another dinner size plate.
- Dredge each tomato slice first into the flour mixture, then egg mixture and finally the panko and set aside on a cookie sheet.
- In a large heavy skillet, add 2 inches oil and heat to 350 degrees over medium heat.
- Fry tomato slices in small batches and drain on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels.
- When all tomatoes are fried assemble salad on a large platter with lettuce, spinach, cucumber and red onion on the bottom. Cover with fried tomatoes and garnish with boiled egg wedges. Drizzle with dressing and enjoy.
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.