Braised Red Cabbage With Onions and Apples
Posted by Plume Ridge Bottle Shop on
"Our dinner last night was terrific with the Glatzer Blaufrankisch Red. The recipe for the Braised Red Cabbage with Apples and Onions is simple but delicious. It has always been a family favorite at my house. My daughter is vegan, so if she is home I use vegan sausage for this recipe. This cabbage dish is also nice with roasted pork and even makes a nice side for Thanksgiving dinner. It can also be made ahead and reheated on the day it is to be used" Nanette Berning-Pate.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple (or any other apple of your choice), peeled, cored and diced in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium head red cabbage. (1.5 to 2 lbs.), Quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 10 ounces apple juice
- 1 tablespoon currant jelly (Grape jelly can be substituted if currant jelly is not available.)
In a large Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the apple and onion and cook about 4 to 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Season with desired salt and pepper. Add the vinegar, apple juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat , and simmer covered until the cabbage is tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Add currant jelly and stir well. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.
Share this post
- Tags: Entrees, Food Blog, Nanette Berning-Pate, Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, pork, Red Wine