A warm and hearty Fall dish that is easy to prepare with your own corn stock or store bought vegetable or chicken stock. Chef's choice of pairing with this fresh and creamy dish is a nice Chardonnay or even a dry Chenin Blanc.
Yield: 4 servings
For Corn Stock:
- 2 corn cobs ( kernels reserved for risotto )
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 celery rib
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small clove garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups corn stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped about 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Raw corn kernels fresh corn from 2 medium ears ( about 2 cups)
- 1 cup fine grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil
- Minced chives to garnish
- Combine all stock ingredients in a large pot with 6 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cover and continue to simmer for 45 minutes. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper. This can be done a day ahead and held in refrigerator until you are ready to prepare the risotto. Strain broth.
- Bring stock to a simmer in a small saucepan and keep warm while the risotto is being prepared.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook until translucent and not browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add the rice and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook while stirring continuously until absorbed.
- Add a ladleful of hot stock to the rice mixture and cook stirring constantly . When the rice has absorbed all of the stock, add one more ladleful of stock and continue cooking until all stock has been added and absorbed one ladle at a time. Add the raw corn to the rice mixture when the last ladle of stock is added. Cook until rice is creamy and tender and corn is cooked.
- Remove from heat and mix the Parmesan and truffle oil into the risotto.
- Garnish with chives before serving.
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.
Share this post
- Tags: Chardonnay, chenin blanc, Entrees, Nanette Berning-Pate, Risotto, Thanksgiving, Vegetables, Vegetarian