Learn to roast an entire chicken with our culinary specialist Nanette Berning-Pate. This succulent recipe with earthy and nutty flavors would be a great pairing with Gamay or Syrah. These wines have medium body and delicate tannins that will compliment the dish.
Serves Size 4
- 1 whole organic air chilled chicken with backbone removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley chopped
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup farro
- 10 ounces assorted mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 3 medium carrots peeled and cut into 2inch pieces
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
- Make a small cut in back of chicken breast. Turn over in roasting pan and flatten.
- Place fresh herbs, garlic, salt and pepper in mini food processor and pulse until combined. Add lemon juice and olive oil and pulse until combined to a paste.
- Carefully lift breast skin and rub 1/4 of herb paste under skin. To the same under leg skin leaving enough herb paste for top of chicken. Rub outside of chicken with remaining herb paste and place in a roasting pan or cast iron skillet. Arrange carrots around chicken.
- Roast chicken with carrots at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook to internal temperature of 165.
- While chicken is roasting, cook farro according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
- When chicken is at 165 degrees, remove from roasting pan and tent with foil. Leave carrots in pan.
- Add mushrooms to roasting pan with roasted carrots. Roast for 8 minutes more. Add cooked farro to roasting pan. Stir mixture well incorporating pan juices and heat through out about 10 minutes.
- Place farro vegetable mixture on serving platter. Quarter chicken and place on top of farro. Enjoy
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.