- 2 cups artisan style country or Italian bread, cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large clove fresh garlic minced
- 1 recipe Creamy Lemon Caesar Dressing. (recipe follows)
- 3 large ears sweet corn, shucked
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, rinsed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix the bread cubes with the olive oil and minced garlic on a baking sheet.
3. Bake until well toasted stirring occasionally for approximately 16 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. Make dressing and set in the refrigerator.
5. Preheat grill to medium/high. You can use a cast iron grill pan that has been preheated if you prefer. Grill until you see good color on the ears turning occasionally for approximately 12 minutes. Allow corn to cool enough to handle. Scrape kernels into a large salad bowl.
6. Add the cut romaine to the salad bowl along with the garlic croutons.
7. Toss the salad with the Creamy Lemon Dressing . Add salt to taste. Add plenty of freshly ground pepper and serve.
I often serve this salad topped with grilled prawns or salmon to make the dish a complete meal.
Creamy Lemon Caesar Dressing
- 1/3 cup avocado mayonnaise ( or any type of mayonnaise you enjoy)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped to a paste ( you can substitute 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire)
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Mix all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and refrigerate until use.
Nanette Berning Pate