Posted by Plume Ridge Bottle Shop on
Make Shrimp Bisque from scratch with our easy recipe that will guarantee smooth, creamy results and deep flavor. Pair this seafood soup with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc.
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, shells reserved
- 2 leeks rinsed well and cut in half
- 4 stalks celery cut in half
- 2 larger carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 strips lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 3 cups heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A few drops Tabasco if desired
- In a small skillet add butter and melt. Add flour and mix. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes making a white roux. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat the olive oil. Add the shrimp shells, leeks, celery, carrots, thyme, bay leaf, lemon zest and tomato paste. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully add the brandy. Carefully ignite the brandy and allow it to cook off. Add water to cover, approximately 4cups. Stir well. Simmer covered for 45 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and carefully strain the broth into a clean pot, pressing gently on the shell and vegetable mixture to extract the flavors. Season the broth with salt and pepper.
- Over medium heat, add cream to the broth. Whisk in the reserved roux and allow to thicken. Large dice the shrimp meat and add to simmering bisque. Simmer until shrimp is cooked throughout, about 6 minutes. Taste and correct seasoning with salt and Tabasco if needed. Serve.
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.