As the season starts to heat up, we find ourselves craving lighter dishes with fresh and nutritious ingredients. Our latest favorite has been this shrimp and white bean salad with creamy lemon and dill dressing. We love how easy this recipe is to make! The tart of the lemon balances beautifully with the creaminess of the dressing and freshness of the watercress and dill. Try pairing this dish with refreshing white wines: Sancerre or Bordeaux White.
- 3 tbsp Mayonaise
- 2 tbsp Plain Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice (divided)
- 1 1/2 tsp Chopped Fresh Dill
- 1/4 tsp Salt (divided)
- 1/4 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper (divided)
- 3/4 cup Chopped Fennel Bulb
- 1/3 cup Carrots (julienne- cut)
- 1/4 cup Red Onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 1/4 cup Cooked Shrimp (peeled)
- 1 can Great Northern Beans
- 1-2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 4oz (1 bunch) Wattercress (trimmed)
- Smoked Paprika
1. Prepare the shrimp: Shell and de-vein the shrimp if necessary. Then, sautée the shrimp in olive oil with 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8tsp pepper, and a sprinkling of smoked paprika for about 3 minutes until pink. Set aside to cool or chill in the fridge. Shrimp can be cooked in advance.
2. Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine the mayonaise, yogurt, 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice, dill, 1/8 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper. Stir and whisk until all ingredients are well incorporated.
3. Prepare the vegetables: Chop the fennel bulb, julienne cut the carrots and thinly slice the onion. Also, trim the watercress stems if necessary.
4. Drain and rinse the can of beans.
5. In a salad bowl combine the watercress, cut vegetables, and beans with 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp olive oil. Toss gently.
6. Add shrimp on top of salad followed by the creamy lemon dill dressing. Enjoy!
*This recipe has been adapted from Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2007