These delicious crab cakes are extra crispy because they are quickly dredged in panko before cooking. Serve them with a roasted red pepper aioli and paired with Chardonnay or crisp Sauvignon Blanc to round off your dish.
Makes 6 to 8 appetizer size crab cakes.
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/3 cup red pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 Tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 generous shakes of Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup plain panko plus 1 cup for dredging crab cakes
- 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 6 tablespoons grapeseed oil or any other neutral flavored oil
Instructions for Crab Cakes:
- Sauté the onion, celery and red pepper in a medium sauté pan with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Sauté on medium low heat until onion is opaque but not browned. Remove from heat and add parsley, capers, Tabasco, Old Bay, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Mix and set aside to cool.
- To cooled mixture add crab, panko, and egg. Mix well. Place mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove crab cake mixture from refrigerator and form into cakes of desired size. Place remaining panko on a piece of parchment paper. Lightly press each crab cake into panko to coat on each side. Set aside.
- Heat a large heavy skillet to medium high. Place grapeseed oil in skillet. In batches, pan fry crab cakes approximately 5 minutes on each side until browned and crispy. Do not crowd pan when cooking and add more oil as needed.
Roasted Red Pepper Aioli Ingredients:
- 1 cup best quality Mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large roasted red pepper from a jar or homemade, chopped
Mix ingredients together and chill
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.