We love this recipe for Roquefort & Roughage Salad because of the joyous harmony of the citrusy dressing with the pungent creaminess of the cheese. This raw sheep's milk cheese coats the leaves beautifully making these cruciferous vegetables absolutely delicious to devour. For this recipe, we sourced the French Roquefort from Milk Farm, a cheese shop in Eagle Rock. They had many delicious options of cheese in the blue family that would also do wonderfully in this salad. You can source your blue cheese from just about any cheese shop or grocery store.
Not everyone loves a pungent blue cheese and finding the right one for your taste can be difficult. We recommend taking a trip to your local cheese shop where they can give you guidance toward finding your ideal match, which may possibly includes some samples.The abundance of vegetables in this salad are rather sturdy, giving them the ability to sit in dressing longer than your typical lettuce. This salad is perfect for lunches as well as summer barbecues and potlucks. We also recommend trying this salad with a delicious slightly aged white wine.
Making the Dressing:
If Champagne Citrus Vinegar is difficult for you to come by, substitute with 3 tbsp of Fresh Orange Juice and 2 tbsp of White Wine Vinegar.
- 4-5 tbsp of Champagne Citrus Vinegar
- 3 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Walnut Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Fresh Orange Juice to taste
Cheaters Tip- There are plentiful options when it comes to prepared bags of lettuce and cruciferous veggie blends. You're likely to find a similar blend of these veggies to save your self some prep time.
- 8 Brussels Sprouts
- 1/2 head of Shredded Green Cabbage
- 1/2 head of Shredded Red Cabbage
- 6oz Kale
- Broccoli Stem
- 4oz Roquefort
- 1 Fuji Apple
- Walnuts or Pecans
- Prepare your raw vegetables: Wash them well before cutting. Start with the Brussels sprouts by shaving them or slicing them thinly and discarding the stem. Shred or cut the cabbage into small ribbons. Chop the kale into small pieces about a 1/4" in size. Shave the broccoli stem with a peeler for slaw-like pieces. Core and slice the apple into small fragments that can be easily tossed into the salad.
- Place the vegetables and apple into a large salad bowl. Crumble the Roquefort over the top and sprinkle the nuts.
- Toss and dress the salad until the Roquefort has been evenly distributed over the veggie shreds.
- Serve and enjoy.