Kiwi & Avocado Spring Fruit Salad
Posted by Monica Yu on
As the sky brightens with the change of the season, more of our favorite produce hits its peak for ideal enjoyment. For this recipe, we scoured the outdoor market, Marché Saxe-Breteuil, in Paris with local chef Marthe Brohan for quality ingredients. When it comes to salads, great produce really is key since the fruits and/or vegetables themselves are being showcased. This composition of fruits may seen unusual but the balance of creamy avocados, tart kiwis and cherry tomatoes balances out in a very harmonious way. The honey drizzle and goat cheese chunks just amplify this creamy, sweet and tart flavor combination.
This dish is a perfect pairing for white wines that have some amount of residual sugar to balance out the acidity in the kiwi. These whites have great aroma and fruit to balance this dish: Calera Viognier, Smith-Madrone Riesling, and Hendry Albarino.
- 2 Ripe Avocados
- 4 Kiwis
- Fresh Cilantro
- Liquid Honey (for drizzling)
- 4-5oz of sliced Fresh Goat Cheese
- 1 cup Oven Dried Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 2 Tbsp Lime or Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 225°F.
- Half the cherry tomatoes and place cut side up on a cookie sheet.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle salt.
- Cook in the oven for 50 minutes to an hour. They should be wrinkly on their sides when they are done. Remove from the oven and let them cool before preparing the salad.
- Peel and slice the avocados and kiwis. Arrange the avocado in the middle of the dish and layer the kiwi slices around.
- Sprinkle the cooled oven dried cherry tomatoes over the avocado and kiwi.
- Sprinkle lime juice over the entire dish and garnish with some chopped cilantro.
- Place the slices of goat cheese on top of the salad and then drizzle the entire dish with the honey.
- Season with some salt and pepper.