A weeknight recipe that is savory and embeds the flavors of smoked cheddar cheese, leek and white wine for a delicious soup. Chef’s notes: you can use any cheese you have on hand. I have used smoked Gouda with good results. My favorite cheese for this recipe is Tillamook Smoked White Cheddar with black pepper.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek, cleaned and thinly sliced using the white and light green parts.
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
- 10 ounces (1 large) Yukon gold potato, peeled and 1 inch diced
- 1.5 pounds (1 medium head) cauliflower florets, roughly chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 4 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, grated.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chives or homemade garlic croutons for garnish
1. In a very large saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter. Add the sliced leeks and gently cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Do not brown. Add white wine and reduce by one half.
2. Add the vegetable broth, potato, and chopped cauliflower to the pan. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the potato and cauliflower are very tender. This takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Carefully blend the soup mixture in a large blender following the manufactures instructions for blending hot liquids, or using a hand blender and blend the soup directly in the saucepan. Add the cheeses and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve with chives or croutons on top.
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.