Broccoli Rabe With Orecchiette Italian Sausage and Cannellini Beans
Posted by Plume Ridge Bottle Shop on
"This is one of my go to quick suppers. I have done this without sausage and even with beans, sausage and no pasta. This would work with a vegan meatless sausage as well. I like this dish with any light bodied red". Nan-Berning Pate
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe, cleaned and trimmed of large stems
- 10 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 8 ounces Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 plump cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 1/2 cups drained, cooked cannelloni beans
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Bring 4 inches of water to boil in a deep pot. Add a teaspoon of salt to the boiling water. Drop the broccoli rabe into the water and blanch for 3 to 4 minutes.Transfer to a bowl of ice water and drain well. When cooled, rough chop the broccoli rabe and set aside.
- In a large pot of salted water, boil the pasta for 5 to 6 minutes until not quite done. The pasta will continue to cook when it is added to the dish. Drain the the pasta reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking water. Set both aside.
- In a large skillet or pot, add the extra-virgin olive oil and bring to medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until done. Crumble the sausage in the pan. Add the garlic and reserved broccoli rabe. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the cooked pasta, beans and pasta cooking water. Over medium high heat, gently toss until heated through. Place in serving dishes and top with grated cheese and chopped parsley.
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.
Share this post
- Tags: Food Blog, Nanette Berning-Pate, pasta