Did you know dark chocolate and wine both contain polyphenols, which provides health benefits? These luxurious and lavishly cocoa powder dusted truffles make a delightful addition to any dessert table or celebration. We used a Zinfandel for this recipe but any red wine will do. Pair this bittersweet chocolate with a wine that has ample intensity such as a Zinfandel or Syrah.
Yields 18 1 1/2 inch truffles
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Cocoa powder for rolling
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small measuring cup place red wine, instant espresso and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, bring cream to a boil and remove from heat.
- Whisk in chocolate until melted and smooth.
- Whisk in red wine, instant espresso and vanilla mixture.
- Transfer truffle mixture to a small bowl and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove mixture from the refrigerator. Scoop dollops of the mixture with a small 1 1/2 inch portion scoop and place on sheet pan lined with parchment. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and gently roll dollops into balls with your hands and roll in the cocoa powder. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.