Celebrate the holidays with a twist on your usual dessert. Take inspiration from a popular South African classic treat typically served around Christmas time (Summer in the Southern Hemisphere). This Malva Pudding, first mentioned in our Festive Holiday Food & Wine Pairings Blog is simple to make and perfect to pair with our South African Wines.
YIELD: 6-8 servings
Ingredients For the Pudding:
- 150 grams all purpose flour (1cup plus 2Tbsp)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly blended with a whisk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly butter a 8 inch square baking dish.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
3. To the dry ingredients, add the milk, eggs, vanilla, melted butter, vinegar and jam. Mix by hand or with a hand mixer until just combined.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Approximately 20 -25 minutes.
5. While pudding is baking, prepare the sauce by placing all of the sauce ingredients into a small saucepan. Over low heat mix to combine only until butter is melted. Set aside.
6. As the pudding comes out of the oven, pour all of the sauce on top evenly and set aside to cool. As it cools the sauce will absorb into the pudding. Serve the pudding warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.