Chinese New Year is the largest celebration in China and Taiwan each year. Businesses and schools are closed for two weeks to give everyone time to spend with their family. Starting from the eve of the new year, families get together to exchange red envelopes and give blessings for the new year. Expect fancy meals and multiple dishes at each family gathering and for the meals to last several hours. Almonds are traditional and sometimes served as desserts or as a palate cleanser at the end of the meal. Here is a great way to sneak in a traditional treat without too much sugar or guilt. These Almond Crisps are very light and delicate, perfect with Sparkling wine.Ingredients:
- ½ cup of all purpose flour
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 2 cups of almond slices
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 Thin flat baking pan (11x16)
- Cooking spray
- Whisk flour, sugar, egg whites, and olive oil together until the texture is smooth and not clumpy.
- Line the baking pan with aluminum foil and grease the with cooking spray.
- Use a spatula and spread the mixture thinly and evenly across.
- Sprinkle almond slices.
- Bake at 300F for 20 minutes or until light brown.
- Let cool completely and break up in pieces. Serves 4-6 people.
These can be addicting so prepare extra batter to make more!