Crimini Mushroom & Gruyere Bread Pudding is one of our Thanksgiving favorites! This holiday season, reinvent your culinary traditions with this deliciously rich dish. This rich dish of savory flavors can be served with our favorite California Pinots or a lovely Bordeaux Blend.
Serves 6-8 people, Vegetarian or Non-VegetarianUsing a 9"x13" Pyrex Dish or Pyrex Pie Dish is recommended.
- 1 French Baguette cut into 25 or so slices
- 2 cups of Half and Half
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Madiera Wine
- 1 cup of diced Onion
- 12oz of Crimini Mushrooms sliced or quartered
- 3-4 slices of Applewood Smoked Bacon *optional*
- 2 tbsp of Fresh Tarragon or 1 tbsp of Dry Tarragon
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 cup of shredded Gruyere or Swiss Cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Dice the bacon strips into 1/4" pieces and cook, then set aside. Keep the remaining fat in the pan.
- Saute the onions, mushrooms, garlic, tarragon, salt and pepper in the bacon fat until they are golden brown. Then remove from the pan and set aside. For vegetarian, use 2 tbsp of olive oil in place of the bacon fat.
- While the vegetables are sauteing, whisk together 2 cups of half and half with the eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Let stand.
- Next, with the pan on low heat, add the Madeira and cook to reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the reduced Madeira to the mushroom mixture, tossing until thoroughly coated, then let the vegetables cool.
- Spray your Pyrex pan with cooking spray and line the bottom of the dish with slices of baguette until the bottom is covered.
- Top the baguette slices with the mushroom mixture and layer half of the Parmesan and half the Gruyere over the mushroom mixture.
- Top the dish with the remaining baguette slices.
- Then, pour the egg mixture evenly over the entire dish and top off with the remaining cheeses.
- Cover the dish tightly with tin foil and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 3 hours while the egg mixture soaks through.
- When the dish is done setting in the refrigerator, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover the baking dish and cook uncovered for 40 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown on top.