There's more than one way to cut a watermelon and more than one way to enjoy it too. This sweet, tangy and savory soup is simple to make and refreshing on a warm day. The light, crisp and berry flavors of Rosé are a perfect match for this colorful gazpacho.
Makes 2 large servings
- 1 large ripe tomato, quartered and seeded
- 3 cups fresh seedless watermelon, cubed in ½ inch pieces
- 1 small Serrano chili seeded
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil cut in thin ribbons, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- In a blender, purée the tomato, chili, and 2 cups watermelon. Reserve remaining melon for garnish.
- Add sherry vinegar and olive oil and pulse briefly.
- Add onion, cucumber and basil with salt and pepper to taste. Purée until smooth.
- Pour into chilled bowls and garnish with remaining watermelon cubes, feta crumbles and basil.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe has been contributed by Nanette Berning-Pate, Culinary Professional.