An abundance of nectarines at the farmers market and the rising temperatures got us inspired for this stone fruit recipe, which is paired with a rich creamy sauce called Sabayon. Feel free to experiment with other beverage such as sherry or cognac. Serves 4
- 5-6 Nectarines
- 8 Sweet Cherries
- 4 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup of Vouvray or slightly sweet wine
1. Cut the large fruits into 1/2 inch thick slices. Halve and pit cherries. Divide among 4 dishes or cups.
2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large non reactive stainless steel bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water (water should be 2 inches below bowl). Pour in the wine and whisk vigorously to incorporate air until the mixture has more than doubled in volume, and becomes slightly frothy. Similar to whipped cream. Do this for about 3 minutes.
3. Spoon sabayon over fruit and serve immediately.
Adapted from Martha Stewart.