Ingredients (Pie Crust) Makes two 9-inch crusts
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter cut into pieces.
Ingredients (Pie filling)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 bunches flat-leaf spinach, thick stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 8 ounces of Gruyere cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 shallots, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 cups of half and half
Instructions (Pie Crust):
1. In a food processor, combine flour, salt and sugar. Then add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Sprinkle with 1/4 cups of ice water then pulse until the dough is crumbly but can hold together.
3. Transfer half of dough (still crumbly) onto a piece of plastic wrap. Form dough into a disk 3/4 inch think; wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate until firm at least 1 hour. Repeat with remaining dough.
4. Place one disk of dough on a lightly floured piece of waxed paper. Rolling from center outward, form into a 14-inch round. Carefully lift and wrap the dough over a 9 inch pie plate.
5. Gently fit dough into bottom and sides of plate. Do not over stretch or tear the dough. Use kitchen shears to trim the overhand to 1 inch and fold under to form a rim. Crimp with fingers.
Instructions (Pie Filling):
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks set in upper and lower thirds. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add as much spinach to skillet as will fit; season with salt and pepper and toss for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Transfer spinach mixture to a colander. Press firmly with the back of a spoon to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Divide spinach mixture and cheese between prepared crust.
3. In a large bowl, whisks together eggs, half and half, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Dividing evenly, pour egg mixture into crusts.
4. Bake in the center of the rack until the quiche is set. About 55 to 60 minutes. Let it stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Martha Stewart