Red Wine Braised Italian Sausages with Peppers & Onions
So often, game day gatherings are a feast of miscellaneous snack foods and bowls of dip. For this upcoming game day grub down, make a delicious main dish that will be your MVP. These Italian sausage sandwiches are an excellent way to easily feed the whole team and keep everyone cheering. Chowing down on these subs is a legal use of hands to the face that the ref would never throw a flag on. Even though the Superbowl is one of this country's major beer holidays, wine can still be an excellent choice to pair with these sausages and peppers.
Makes 6 servings or feeds 2 hungry defensive linemen.
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers sliced
- 1 white onion sliced
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1½ lbs or 6 Fresh Italian Pork or Turkey Sausages (hot or sweet)
- ½ cup of red wine
- ½ cup of beef broth
- 2 tbsp of Olive Oil
- ¼ to ½lb of provolone slices
- Marinara Sauce
- Rolls of your choice
- Red Chili Flakes *optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brown the sausages on both sides in dutch oven or large pot with 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Remove the cooked sausages from the pan and set aside reserving the liquids.
- Add the veggies and garlic to the liquids in the pan, cook for 34 minutes on medium high heat.
- Once the veggies are cooked, place the sausages back into the pan on top of the veggies. Add red wine and beef broth to the pot. Also, add the chili flakes at this time if you desire some heat.
- Bring the pot to a light boil then cover and place in a 350° oven for 2530 minuets.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Slice the rolls and toast in the oven for a few minuets. Take a toasted roll and line the bread with the 12 slices of cheese. Then place sausage and veggies inside the roll and top with warmed marinara sauce. Serve along side vinegar peppers or an olive medley.
Share this post
- Tags: Parties